Re: My hopes of a truck

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Sat Dec 06 1997 - 16:14:01 EST

At 02:19 PM 12/6/97 -0500, you wrote:

>As I said in a previous post, I don't think that young males are the worst
>drivers, it's just they are out on the road more than any other group,
>going to pick up their girlfriends, taking them out, cruising, going to
>school, then to part-time job after school, etc..., etc... Look at the avg
>mileage driven per year of young males vs other groups,it is much larger
>for the young males. Heck my brother put 36K miles on his truck last
>year, I've driven 6K miles in the past 2 months just commuting back and
>forth to school, and going home every couple of weeks. It's not that they
>are bad drivers, it's just they are on the road more, and thus are put in
>a position where there's a possibility of a wreck more often... You're
>right you are being shafted, and you'll probably never get your money's
>worth out of that 30 years' worth of premiums, but oh well i guess
>there's nothing you can do but continue paying it...
>
>Bruce

Hate to further differ with you Bruce, but statistically (and I didn't say
YOU), young males are the worst drivers and cause the most accidents
(doesn't matter whether they drive more or not). That's why, under private
insurance, their premiums are the highest. Insurance premiums are based
upon the risk posed by a defined population of drivers (ie. young males),
so if you premiums are high, it is because others in your risk group cause
many accidents.

I was considered a high-risk driver from 16 to 25 years (it used to be
private insurance in BC then), my rate dropped at 25, then again when I go
married ... moved into another risk group. I currently receive a 40%
reduction in my premium because I have gone more than 4 years without an
'at-fault' claim. So I am paying about $1,100 (Canadian) for full coverage.

The objective of purchasing insurance is not to 'break even', but to have
the security of knowing, in the event of an accident, your personal
liability is covered (ie. you don't loose everything if you badly injure
someone), you can get another car if yours is stolen, you can get yours
repaired if you drive off the road etc, etc. and I guess in the US, also
get your medical bills paid.

I don't know about you, but I'd be scared shztless to drive without
insurance, particularly in the 'law-suit crazy' US....ya, I know, it's
getting much worse is Canada also.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.