Tires, was Re: ABS Limitations

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Mon Dec 08 1997 - 21:22:47 EST

>It's good to read something other than racing Dakota's. Did you add a
>lift to your truck to fit those 31x10.50's. I want to put some
>31x10.50's on my truck but I been told you need a lift kit. The only
>lift kit I have found is a 4" from Trailmaster and it's $1500. Any info
>in this area would be appreciated. I did try the Bilsteins on the front
>of my Dakota and didn't like them.

Thanks Peter,

I tweaked the torsion bars to get an extra inch up front, but otherwise
it's a stock '93 4x4. The Michelins on there now seem to be a bit bigger
in outside diameter than the Courser 31's I had before -- they do rub a
bit at full lock, and crossing curbs (turning).

I think the Bilsteins add a little ride height too. I don't have catalog-
application shocks. I understand Bilstein made a limited run of the 4x4
shocks, but were disappointed with the results -- they weren't available
when I got mine. I had to ream the lower bushing out to fit -- I guess
Ford uses slightly smaller bolts on the F250.

I can't justify a lift kit. I think they mess up the dynamics too much,
and if I want to get that serious about four wheeling (sic) I'll buy an
old CJ and do it right! [A one hundred and thirty-one inch wheelbase will
never be a SERIOUS off-road vehicle.] Meantime, I go lots of places, get
out and hike where the rocks get too big (or mountain bike), and then I
cruise home in perfect comfort at speeds Jeeps can't obtain...

The Ramette (sorry) body style Dakotas have larger body openings to clear
the stock 31x10.5-15's. I wonder how much bigger than stock you can go
on those???

Jim
Dakota - the Right Caliber of Dodge Magnum Force.