Re: Insurance

From: David Settlemoir (dsettlemoir@aristotle.net)
Date: Mon Dec 08 1997 - 21:07:56 EST

At 07:59 PM 12/6/97 UT, you wrote:
><Stepping onto the Soap Box>
>
>I've been reading through this thread on Insurance. Personally, I believe
it
>is necessary but a rip off . . .
>
>Walter_Felix@MSN.COM
>http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/9219

Walter-

I personally hate insurance companies for a different reason . . .

About nine years ago I worked as a free-lance videographer. I did that for
two years until my wife became pregnant and I decided to get a full-time
job with health insurance. Anyway, the self-employeed are pretty much
f**cked by the government when tax time comes around, and I ended up owing
both state and federal taxes (which I didn't have the money to pay in
full.) The feds were cool, and let me pay it out over time. But the state
(which also happened to be my then/now employer) wouldn't let me pay it
over time without placing a tax lien on me. Well just fine (or so I
thought.) I evently paid my taxes in full, and thought I was finished with
the ordeal. About that time I decided to get some renters insurance and
thought first of the company I had my auto insurance with, Nationwide.
Well, I had had auto insurance with Nationwide for ten years, first on my
parent's policy and then on my own. I had previously had one accident (I
tore up a tire and wheel on a curb) and no tickets in a three-year period.
Anyway, Nationwide said I was a bad risk for the renters insurance because
I had a tax lien against me. And then about a month later, they cancelled
my auto insurance. For one thing, my credit report was incorrect, which
didn't matter to them. My agent was absolutely no help, and so now I'm
currently with Farmers. I've still got incorrect things on my credit
report, and when I get it all straightened out I'll probably switch to
State Farm.

David Settlemoir
dsettlemoir@aristotle.net