Re: 4WD Question

From: mike (moparman@indy.net)
Date: Tue Dec 09 1997 - 14:44:58 EST

Rob Agnew wrote:

> At 08:26 AM 12/9/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >your 4x4 system has auto locking hubs and a center disconect system.
> >when power is applied to the hubs from the axles the will auto lock.
> >the thing to be careful of on this system is the center axle
> >disconect... lost mine once while in the middle of some real rough
> >trails. had to keep having my buddies pull me out with their Rangettes.
> >
> >Mike Burk
> >92 CC 4x4
> >68 (HEMI) Dart GT
> >

> Mike:
>
> Unless that's new for 98, it certainly is not that way on my 97. The front
> axle and drive shaft
> are turning all the time.
>
> Rob Agnew
> ragnew@islandnet.com
>
> Victoria, B.C.
> Canada
The axle and drive shaft will turn all the time on "full time" 4x4
systems. The Dakota system is unfortunately a downsized copy of the full
size GM IFS system. The main drive on the front axle is the pass. side,
but on really loose surfaces both will spin. The system actually uses a
close version of the Jeep viscous couplings, instead of an actual auto
locking hub, but that was the easiest way to explain it. If you plan to
use your truck off-road much, especially on rocky trails, fabricate an
extension to your front skid plate. trust me if you hit that vacuum
cannister you will wish that you had.