Re: 4wd in Mtns, was ABS Limitations

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Wed Dec 10 1997 - 19:49:53 EST

>Oh yeah, definitely don't want to forget about Yellowstone, from the
>pictures I've seen Yellowstone has to be about the most beautiful place on
>the planet, same goes for Glacier, I guess I'll have to wait till I get

Bozeman, where I went to college, is less than 100 miles from Yellowstone,
which makes it right next door in Montana terms. It gets __WAY__ too
crowded during the summer. The time to see it is in the fall, after the
tourists have left post-Labor Day, but before enough snow falls that they
close the roads. See, they have snowmobile tours during the winter, which
is getting too crowded also... Anyway... The geysers are absolutely
spectacular when the steam is injected into 5 or 10 degree below-zero air!

A lot of people miss Mammoth Hot Springs. They are really at their best
with cascades of ice draped on the sides. Other than that, the mountains
in Yellowstone are so-so. You see, the valley blew up awhile back and took
the heights of whatever mountains were there - to Nebraska. Still nothing
compared to the Long Valley (Mammoth Mtn, California) blow-up, which put
six feet of ash over Nebraska! And we think a few measly thermonuclear
devices are a big deal? 'Laugh while you can, monkey-boy!'

The Grand Tetons are pretty from along US 191, but Glacier Park is never
as crowded as Yellowstone, and has bigger rocks.

If you go through Bozeman, don't miss the Pickle Barrel restaurant, near
the University. Best submarine sandwiches on the planet! Wish I could
mail-order a Ken's Special right now...

Jim
PS. Good skiing at Bridger Bowl, 15 mi from Bozeman. Big Sky to the S too.