Re: Fuel problem

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Thu Dec 11 1997 - 10:32:21 EST

Matthew Durbahn wrote:

> I was wondering if anybody knows of a remedy for my poor Dak. I can
> only go about 100 miles then it stops running from fuel starvation! When
> I runn it I can hear a whining sound like a windsheild washer pump out
> of fluid. Any advice anyone? Thanks Matt Durbahn
>
> 93' v-6 DAK

First thing (and cheapest) I'd check/replace is the fuel filter. I had a
similar experience with an 84 Nissan PU where the fuel filter was the
culprit.

Other possibilities could include:

* dirty/clogged fuel pickup in the tank
(this is also a good possibility - crud floating around in the tank
stays in suspension until you start up the engine, the crud slowly
collects on the fuel pickup screen until after around 100mi/2hrs the
fuel pickup is completely blocked off. After the engine dies and there
is no more suction through the fuel pickup, and the crud falls off and
starts floating around in the tank again.)

* bad fuel pump
* bad EFI computer

Good luck.

jeff