Re: New to List

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Thu Dec 11 1997 - 12:46:19 EST

>Thanks for the info. I looked at the FABM: way over my head. If I get the
>FIPK now, will I have to upgrade later if I get cowl induction? I don't want
>get a whole new hood, or do those fiberglass hood scoops out of J.C. Whitney

I would get an entire hood made of fiberglass. Mating plastic to steel is
nigh on impossible to do well. Color match on the paint will be less of
an issue too.

BTW, the same company that makes the finishes for Chrysler, PPG, makes a
fantastic primer - the DP-series - in gray, light gray, white, and black
(and they may have a red now). They're two-part epoxy systems that bond
extremely well to fiberglass or any clean material (stainless needs to be
etched, but it works great on bare aluminum). Pick the color closest to
your stock primer and go from there. If you get a quality fiberglass part,
you ought to be able to shoot color directly over the primer coat.

I think the cowl induction hoods would dramatically lower underhood temps,
so a FIPK or FABM would benefit greatly.

As to aerodynamics - in a cowl induction setup, you can think of the
entire windshield/cab as the air collector of your hood scoop. Beauty is,
that's already there, so take advantage of it!

Jim
'93 4x4