RE: Detonation

From: Smith L. W. Nash (railway@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Dec 13 1997 - 00:02:15 EST

First question: does the fuel you buy contain an oxygenate? We used to
have it here in NC 'til everyone started complaining of engine knock, and
again after having to have major repairs since the detonation will destroy
bearings. Great for emissions, bad on engines.

Second: How much total advance does the computer allow? My '92 max's out
at about 3500 rpm and from what I can figure, spark advance stops in the
early/mid 20 degree range. I get some knocking from 4200 to the shift rpm
at 4800 during WOT. It's worse in the winter since the air is colder and
thus more dense. For some reason I can't explain, the computer isn't
sensing the denser air and isn't adding fuel to the mix so in the higher
rpm's, it will lean out a bit. I've rotated my distributer a bit to have
and initial advance at 12 degrees BTDC. After a few minutes the computer
compensates.

Smitty - KF4UQY
Raleigh, NC