RE: Wheel Swap

From: Smith L. W. Nash (railway@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Dec 13 1997 - 11:21:07 EST

Vibration is only one concern. Acurracy of the odometer and speed-o-meter
will be affected. Since the diameter of the tire has gotten larger, your
speedometer will report a lower reading than you are actually traveling.
 My guesstimate is your speedometer is reporting your speed to be 5 to 8
mph slower than you are actually moving. Easy test. Get a friend and a
clock with a second hand or stopwatch. Get on a highway and look for those
mile markers. Set your speed according to your speedometer reading to 60
mph. When you pass a mile marker, start the clock and stop it at the next
mile marker. If you traveled one mile in less than a minute, your going
faster than the speedo shows and you'll need to get it calibrated.

Vibration with big tires can be corrected but you need to find a good tire
shop that will balance the tires in the "fine" mode instead of the coarse
or medium modes. In fine mode, they can get the vibration out so it may
only vibrate for a couple of mph range. I have stock LT Cooper's on mine
and it vibrates at 47mph to 49mph then again at 64mph to 67mph. The guy
that did my balancing had the balancer in fine mode but when he spun it,
you could see the rim wasn't true'd and had a slight warp to it. So my
stock steel rims aren't great. I'd rather have spun aluminum rims.

Smitty - KF4UQY
Raleigh, NC
'92 3.9L Magnum, Shtbd.