Re: Wheel Swap

From: acasey@io.com
Date: Sat Dec 13 1997 - 05:45:14 EST

> I just purchased a base model '97 4x4 Dakota. It came with those little
> P215/75R15 Goodyear Invicta tires, with 15x6 rims. I decided to get some
> larger tires, going with Chaparral LT235/75R15 (which do not have an
> aggressive tread pattern). I have noticed more vibration with
> the larger tires. I understand that the transition from passanger to
> light truck tires will change the feel, but how much should LT tires
> change smoothness of the ride? [The ruffness appears to greatest at
> speeds above 50 mph and when decelerating.] Any ideas on what could be
> causing increased vibration? This is essentially my first truck so I am
> unfamiliar with what would be considered normal vibration by any long time
> truck driver.

I would have the balance double checked. I had new rims and tires
put on last spring from Discount Tire. I was noticing alot of
vibration on the highway at 70 or above. I took it to another shop
to have the balanced checked and it was way off. Evidently Discount
did what these guys called a static balance, which is putting weights
only on the inside of the rim, ( so you don't see any weights on the
outside of the rim ). They did a high speed balance which requires
weight on both sides, The rims don't look as nice with the weights,
but it sure smoothed out the ride.

Hope this helps
Alan...