Re: Chat

From: Mike Crumley (a0020124@airmail.net)
Date: Sat Dec 13 1997 - 14:41:48 EST

At 01:04 AM 12/13/97 -0500, you wrote:
>At 08:50 PM 12/11/97 -0500, Rob Robinson wrote:
>>I'm interested in chatting with you, but I don't know what server you use.
>>I tried the suggested irc.voicenet.com and was denied access or something.
>>Where can I go, and where is your channel?
>>

> I'm not all that up on IRC myself, but if anyone knows of any other
servers
>that carry the dakota IRC channel, could you let me know too? I'd like to
list
>them on the WWW page.

I did a little experimenting with my mIRC program and was able to join the
#dakota channel on the following servers:

AFTERnet
CHATnet
DALnet
EFnet
Gammanet
IRCnet
SandNet
STARLink
Superchat
Undernet

These are by no means a complete list of available servers, rather it is
just the ones I was able to connect to during the short period of time I
was messing with it. The main point is that I was able to join the Dakota
channel on every server I connected to.

I am by no means an expert on using chat, but here are some tips which
might help.
1) This may sound obvious, but make sure you know how to use the chat
program you are using. Check to make sure you are using the correct method
to connect to a server and find out how to add and join channels.
2) All the servers listed above and most of the others available have more
than one location listed. Try connecting to the location closest to you to
get the best odds of being able to connect as well as getting the fastest
response. There are even some located in Canada :=}
3) Once you are connected to a server you may not see the #dakota channel
listed in the list of channels. The servers do not usually list all the
channels that are available, usually only the most popular. In this case
you can add #dakota to your list and should be able to join. See the help
file or documentation for your chat program to find out how to do this.
4) There are lots of resources on the internet to help people get started
in chat. There are newsgroups devoted to chat as well as web sites with
FAQs etc. A good place to start is http://www.mirc.co.uk/ the home page of
the chat program mIRC. If you can't find the information you are looking
for there, they have links to other resources that can help.

Hope you find this info useful.

Mike

--
Mike Crumley     a0020124@airmail.net