Re: Wheel Swap

From: Cosmicfrog (Cosmicfrog@AOL.COM)
Date: Sat Dec 13 1997 - 16:28:31 EST

<< I just purchased a base model '97 4x4 Dakota. It came with those little
 P215/75R15 Goodyear Invicta tires, with 15x6 rims. I decided to get some
 larger tires, going with Chaparral LT235/75R15 (which do not have an
 aggressive tread pattern). I have noticed more vibration with
 the larger tires. I understand that the transition from passanger to
 light truck tires will change the feel, but how much should LT tires
 change smoothness of the ride? [The ruffness appears to greatest at
 speeds above 50 mph and when decelerating.] Any ideas on what could be
 causing increased vibration? This is essentially my first truck so I am
 unfamiliar with what would be considered normal vibration by any long time
 truck driver. >>

   You shouldn't have a vibration after this swap. I took the 215's off my
Dakota and put some 225/70's on it and there was no difference. (At least
until I went around a corner. vrooooom! :-) ) Possibly one or more of the
tires were not balanced properly. There is also the possiblity that one or
more lug studs were over tightened warping the rotor.