Re: Cost Axle Ratio Swap

From: Steve (Slow@primenet.com)
Date: Sat Dec 13 1997 - 15:23:19 EST

On Sat, 13 Dec 1997 20:30:42 -0600, you wrote:

>New Dak 4x4 with 31" wheels has come with a 3.55 axle ratio. Want to
>swap out for 3.92 ratio which will "return" shift points to same speeds
>as the 3.55 with standard 28" tires. Tooling along at 65 in 3rd is
>worthless especially when there is no way I can get those big 31x10.5's
>to spin off the line. Low end strength is needed.

        Is this a V-6 or a V-8? I assume it is also a automatic? There
is not much of a change from 3.55 to 3.92, is it really that
important? I would suggest driving a identical truck to yours, with
the 3.92's to see if it would be worth the trouble.
        I have the 3.92/five speed and I'll admit, it will smoke the
tires without even trying.

>How much should a swap like this cost?

        It is very expensive. Most of the cost is due to setting up
the new gear sets. (Read Labor)

>Off road shop quoted me $1,400, 700 an axle. This seems way high. I
>had thought a few hundred, but the I might be out of date.

        That's kinda high, but it will cost you more than a few
hundred. The gear sets alone will run a few hundred.

        I might also suggest if you do decide to do it, now would be
the time to add traction control devices in the axles. I have the
Trak-Loc in the rear, and I love it. I would like to add a limited
slip in the front, but the front axle is a new aluminum casing and I
haven't heard of anything for it yet. I was apprehensive about the new
aluminum axle, but now seeing that it is a non-load bearing design, it
is no biggie.

        Steve

97' Dakota, CC, 4X4, 5 Speed, all the goodies 'cept anti-lock brakes,
Mud Flaps, spare-tire lock, Step-Shields, EVSII Alarm, Gibson Single
3" Cat-Back,Tow Hooks....

=09