Re: Cost Axle Ratio Swap

From: Jim Oitzinger (delspam.jozinger@infohwy.com)
Date: Sun Dec 14 1997 - 00:36:36 EST

Steve wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 1997 20:30:42 -0600, you wrote:
>
> >New Dak 4x4 with 31" wheels has come with a 3.55 axle ratio. Want to
> >swap out for 3.92 ratio which will "return" shift points to same speeds
> >as the 3.55 with standard 28" tires. Tooling along at 65 in 3rd is
> >worthless especially when there is no way I can get those big 31x10.5's
> >to spin off the line. Low end strength is needed.
>
> Is this a V-6 or a V-8? I assume it is also a automatic? There
> is not much of a change from 3.55 to 3.92, is it really that
> important? I would suggest driving a identical truck to yours, with
> the 3.92's to see if it would be worth the trouble.
> I have the 3.92/five speed and I'll admit, it will smoke the
> tires without even trying.

It's a V8. But with the big tires the "effective" ratio is reduced to 3.21
with the regular tires. Can see why you burn at 3.92 with regular (28")
tires. I'm just trying to get back to an effective 3.55 ratio.
Futunately, I have argument that the factory/dealer botched it because it
was told I would have standard ratio which I interpreted to mean at the
wheel. I think the dealer and I will be able to work something out. It
would be easier the less the cost is. But there is no point to the cost
standing in the way of having an "almost" right setup. Too much is already
invested to stop short. Do it right now, and it will be right for the
entire life of the truck (which, in other respects is one nice ride).

Regretfully, nothing in the hood like it to drive like. It's just tooo
goood.

Thanks

Jim O.
'98 Dak CC 4x4 V8 5spd soon to be got right at 3.92 with the big sucken
tires.