RE: RE: Cost Axle Ratio Swap

From: Craig Baltzer (cbaltzer@Anjura.COM)
Date: Sun Dec 14 1997 - 04:16:09 EST

You didn't say what was in the truck in your first post (and your sig
line at that point didn't include the motor (which I now notice you have
added)), so I had to ask. Jim Oitzinger rambled on

        Where you in any condition to read the post when you the above?
Just how
        did you make "tooling along in 3rd at 65" into "requires 3rd
gear to have
        any hoot at 65"? What does it do to your credibility? Isn't
this just
        trash talk?

I read from that you were complaining about the lack of power in the
truck. From the first part of your comment about 65 in 3rd I read as you
had to do that to have any power. Maybe we drive differently, but I
don't "cruise" on the highway at 65mph in 3rd gear unless I'm looking to
get by something smartly. And how you can have a 5.2l and state that you
can't get those "big" tires to spin off the line amazes me. Try
launching the truck at anything over 2000 rpm in 1st gear and you'll
have loads of wheelspin.

Jim Oitzinger rambled on

        Do you base this on your Dak's performance before or after its
trip to
        Robson Racing?
        Is your Dak covered by warranty? Some guys have bumped up the
performance
        level of their Daks to the point they can run, and run hot, with
3.21 ratios
        but Dodge is holding the warranty.

My comments were based on my stock truck as I noticed you had a new
stock truck. I had it 7-8 months before any work was done on it by
Robson, and it had good power from day one. What I did find is that it
got quicker as it got older, and seems to get noticeably stronger after
3-4K miles. Thats been fairly common for just about any vehicle I've
had. As to the warranty question, aside from the headers and exhaust
(headers are Mopar parts and do not void any warranties, and you can do
whatever you like with a cat-back and not void anything), they would
have to tear the motor apart to find the rest. Guess we'll see the first
time it needs warranty work.

I'm sorry to hear that you're disappointed with the power of your new
truck, but don't expect to be treated as credible saying things like
"there is no way I can get those big 31x10.5 to spin off the line" in
the company of a group of people who actually own and drive the trucks.
And as others have mentioned, going from a 3.55 to a 3.92 is not going
to make a dramatic difference; if you can't figure out how to spin the
tires off the line with the 3.55, you still won't be able to figure out
how to do it with the 3.92s...

Craig