Update: Rear End Growl

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Wed Dec 17 1997 - 14:56:45 EST

> About 3 months ago, I started noticing a bizarre growl coming from the
> rear of the Dakota (thought it was a low-flying airplane at first ;).
> I admit it's not very loud, but it is most pronounced while coasting around
> 40 mph, and has the unmistakable characteristics of a failing bearing.

  Well, after the 4th dealer trip (30 miles one way), I finally seem to have
convinced someone that my truck actually does warrant some effort other than
squirting a tube of friction modifier in the rear end.

  Called the service department today and they indicated that they're waiting
for delivery on some bearings. Hopefully I get the truck back early next
week. The loaner '98 Taurus (7 miles on the odometer when I got it!) is nice,
but it ain't no truck.

  I asked if I could get the failed bearings, but they said they had to send
them back to Chrysler in order to get compensated for the warranty repair.

  If this doesn't fix the growl, I think I'm going to go ape.

  Ron