Re: Tonneau covers

From: Cosmicfrog (Cosmicfrog@AOL.COM)
Date: Wed Dec 17 1997 - 20:10:17 EST

<< I'm thinking about getting a tonneau cover for my 98 Dak CC.
 Anybody have one already, how do you like it.
 I think I would prefer one of the ones that has the aluminum rail that clamps
on
 and the cover attaches to the rail.

 Do they really improve gas mileage.
 Which kind do you think is better, the rail kind, or the kind that you have
to put velcro
 on the bed rails.
 Alos, how good are the snaps that are on these things.
 Is the one brand that is better than another ?

 I'm open to all suggestions, the only thing I know for sure is that is has to
be a soft cover
 because I would need to roll it up often to haul dirt bikes. >>

   I had one on my '93 for two years. It helped the gas mileage a lot. It cut
that drop at the back of the cab and really smoothed things out. It only gave
me trouble in cold weather as it was hard to stretch it back over the frames.
Mine was made by Extang and I was very pleased with it. However, one caveat,
it warns in the literature that you SHOULD NOT use anything like Armour-All on
it as it can cause the canvas to shrink. This was done at a car wash even
though I told them not to. It did shrick a bit but not enough to worry about,
but if it was done repeatedly you might have a problem. I had the aluminum
frame type that didn't touch the bed. After two years there was no wear on the
paint. I started hauling large items that were fairly expensive so I put a
truck cap on the bed. I still have the tonnau in the garage for if I ever get
another truck.