Re: bedliners...

From: Jason & Norah (janor@ican.net)
Date: Thu Dec 18 1997 - 06:59:19 EST

At 09:45 PM 12/17/97 EST, you wrote:
>I don't have my '98 Dakota yet (ordered 11-18) but I am really thinking about
>the rubber type spray on material that is color matched and about 1/8 inch
>thick. The representative I met at a car show this summer gave me a small
>sample and said she could color match to the bed while I was in the shop to
>agree on the color. Completely does away with rattles and supposedly, adds
>sound damping to the bed.

The brochures for the Rhino spray-in liner show that they can make it in
just about any color you want. When I got mine, they asked me if I wanted
black or charcoal. I wanted black, so I wasn't too broken up about it. Out
of curiosity, I asked them about the fact that the ad showed colors like
blue, red, yellow and white, and they said they didn't recommend anything
other than black or charcoal as the other colors don't stay true. For
example, they said that white turns to eggshell within a few years. As
always, your mileage may vary, but it's one thing to keep in mind before you
get the color matched. I'd get a few more opinions before you end up with
something bonded to your bed that's turning putrid colors on you.

I do like the Rhino liner. It was pretty expensive, but I look at it as an
investment. I figure compared to what I spent on the truck, an extra $400
is a relatively small amount if it helps prevent rust and other damage.
Besides, the previous owner apparently hauled quite a bit of stuff back
there, and the bed would have needed repainting soon anyway.

Hope that helps.
Jason