Re: erratic idle speed

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Fri Dec 19 1997 - 20:27:25 EST

> difficult could it be to sense that the throttle is closed with no
> engine load and ignore the distance sensor for idle speed calculation?

It's more likely that the system jitters a bit in crossing over from closed-
loop control (using O2 sensor readings to achieve stoichiometry) to open-
loop control (using the fuel/rpm map in memory). Remember, we're talking
about the compute power of an Apple ][e.

I wonder if a more expensive O2 sensor would give valid readings even in
the cool, slow-moving gases at idle... Probably need multiple, more-sensitive
sensors higher up the exhaust tract, like on each down-pipe, as the 1996
and later model Magnums. [The '92 to '95 have only one O2 sensor.] And
for even better control, one in each exhaust runner!

>Remember that the computer is still getting an AC volt signal from the wheel
>speed sensor in the rear end. Not to mention ABS sensors. It doesn't know

The SBEC receives the signal from the Vehicle Speed Sensor at the tail of
the transmission. The ABS sensors, including the rear axle sensor, only go
to the ABS computer, as far as I know.

Jeff - You've had your Idle Air Motor checked out?

Jim