Intermediate Shaft, Truck is in the shop (Long)

From: John Neff (jndneff@flash.net)
Date: Mon Dec 29 1997 - 19:09:07 EST

All,
My poor little Dak is in the shop tonight. I listed 4 items to the
service writer when I dropped it off.
1) The clicking through the steering wheel and TSB #19-12-97 which
prescribed a new intermediate shaft
2) Cupping on the outer edge of the front driver side tire, 2400 miles.
3) Oil leak, oil on the under side of the tranny, but has not dripped
yet. I had wiped it off once last week to see if it was me doing a messy
oil change. Nope, came back.
4) Loud clunk coming from under my feet when turning on an uneven
surface. I have squirted all of the zerk fittings I could find. The
upper ball joints are sealed, cannot be lubed.

The service writer called at 5:30 pm to update me on the truck.
1) The TSB does apply to this truck and a "New Style" shaft will be
installed. He did not have one in stock but should have it between
Wednesday and Friday.
2) Will put the truck on the alignment rack first thing in the morning.
If the alignment is good, he will replace the tire.
3) Oil is leaking from either the distributor shaft O-ring, or the back
of the intake manifold :( Will have to tear the top of the engine down
to locate for sure, double :(
4) Still have not been able to duplicate this one. I will take him for a
ride to duplicate once it is back on the road.

Someone asked if the TSB for the intermediate shaft had a cutoff date.
So far it I am only for certain that this applies to the 98's, and
applies to all 98 4X4's. The service writer was not sure if it applied
to 97's or not as he id not look it up under that year, but since the
last number of the TSB is 97, it may very well apply to that year as
well. I will know more tomorrow after he calls. So, looks like I'm
driving the TA for the next day or two. Oh well, If I have to give up my
truck, at least the alternative is just as much fun to drive.
John
98 Dak CC 4X4 Sport, 5.2L, AUTO!, Tire and Handling Package, Power
Everything, Billet Grill, Nerf Bars, Oil Leak, bad intermediate shaft,
cupping tire, loud thump when turning.

--
remove anti spam ^'s from reply to address to reply