Re: Help with Leak

From: Cosmicfrog (Cosmicfrog@aol.com)
Date: Fri Jan 02 1998 - 19:34:06 EST

<< It is underneath the extended cab/driver section. It is leaking red
fluid. It is the piece that connects the front driving tube to the rear one.
I know you 4x4 guys know what I am talking about. My question is really how
dangerous it is and how can I replace (if at all) the fluid. >>

   It can be one of two things. The red color indicates it's transmission
fluid. (If it evaporates, it's gasoline and you need to get it fixed before it
catches fire.) With your truck warmed up to operating temperature and on level
ground check the fluid with the transmission in neutral. If it's low, add to
the full line. If it isn't low then you are leaking transmission fluid from
your transfer case. You check this by removing the plug from the back of the
case just behind the shaft to the front axle. Either way, you need to find the
leak and get it fixed.