Re: Introduction

From: Cosmicfrog (Cosmicfrog@aol.com)
Date: Fri Jan 02 1998 - 19:33:54 EST

<< What is the typical gas mileage, I get about 14-15 mpg all the time, I
 would be interested to get any tips or mods that can improve this. (I love
 the performance, but I use the truck as a commuter, and would be willing to
 trade off for gas mileage). >>

   I have a '93 with a V-6. I've had mine since new and there hasn't been 100
miles at the most put on it by anybody else. I do a lot of highway driving and
sometimes will fill the tank every two or three days. The tailgate up or down
made little difference. The camper cap I have on it now has cost me in fuel
mileage but I needed to haul stuff in a semi-secure manner.
   My best mileage was with a tonnau cover. I got one from Extang that clamped
on the bed sides and after two years, when I removed it there was no wear on
the paint. Unfortunately, you can't haul an engine under it. I get about 18.5
with the V-6 and cruise control. 19 with the open bed, and 21 with the cover.
I got as high as 23 a couple of times but this was on flat highway not my
usual haunts.