Re: Product Reviews Requested

From: Charles Navarro (pwruser@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jan 09 1998 - 16:11:20 EST

Michael D Gemelke wrote:

> Does anyone have any insight into the following products and how they have
> performed for you? All comments good, bad, or indifferent are
> appreciated:
>
> Checkmate FX soft tonneau cover (why are they so cheap?)
>
> Saber Extang soft tonneau cover (any fitting problems in the colder
> months?)
>
> K&N Air Filter "Injector" Kit (what are the "clones" & who makes them,
> by the way, what do you do with the Crankcase Inlet Air Filter with one of
> these installed? Any performance/reliability impacts with taking warm
> engine-compartment air into the engine/crank?)
>
> GlassPacked Mufflers/Turbo Mufflers (is it worth it to replace the stock
> muffler if I don't replace the headers, y-pipe, cat, etc?) Any
> brand/model recommendations?
>
> Which bed liners have the best fit for a '95 XCAB shortbed? (I still need
> the 2X6 dents to hold plywood, and would like to still be able to use the
> stake pockets as well).
>
> Thanks for the advise. Happy new year.
>
> -Mike
> '95 Dakota XCAB 3.9L V6 shortbox, Emerald Green, stock everything,
> bent-sheet metal Unicover doghouse, torn up piece of carpet in the
> bed,...you get the picture!

  I have a clone cone filter that looks just like the K&N in my Ford Contour.
Sometimes when the engine gets very hot, the fact that I am taking in air from
the main engine compartment just makes the engine heat up more. If I were you,
I would go ahead and purchase a real K&N injector kit, not some fake, or you
will end up customizing the air intake to fit the generic clone. I also have a
Ford Bronco with the drop in; I get better fuel milage and some more power,
but mostly only better mpg. I hope this helps you.

Charles Navarro
pwruser@earthlink.net