Re: 97 brakes

From: Rob Robinson (u4d6r6mh@coastalnet.com)
Date: Sat Jan 10 1998 - 08:55:39 EST

>$90 EACH! The first brake job was done by the dealer, They
>replaced both rotors and all new pads, said it was normal wear and
>tear. At 20,000 ??? bullshit! ($91 x 2 for rotors + $98 Mopar pads
>+ 2hrs labor = over $400) can you say bend over.

Hummmm. I have almost 30,000 miles on my brakes and they look like
they still have half the pads left. And the rotors are smooth as silk.
Wonder why yours are wearing so fast?

I do agree you got screwed at the dealer. As a vet. service adv. we knew
something was wrong if things wear out at 20,000 miles. Of course around
here we have no hills, and the heaviest thing I tow is a 16' wooden
Harker's Island skiff.

That is crazy for a set of rotors. I wonder what Napa, or any other
places sell their rotors for. Even my old Barracuda's rotors are not that
expensive (around $35.00) and that is a harder car to find them for.

$98 for pads is crazy too. That is why dealerships suffer when it comes to
make money. At the local Chevy dealer where I worked, we stocked a good
set of aftermarket pads (both semi metallic and organic) so we could
compete. We learned that the Chevy pads really were not any better, and we
never had a comeback on a bad brake job.

I feel for your situation and hope things improve. Maybe next time you can
find some rotors that have some quality to them. (Wonder who was the
provider of the rotors to Chrylser).

Red 96 Dakota Sport V8 3.55 Burgundy 68 Barracuda Fastback
Shortbed, Standard Cab 318-904 8 3/4 rear3.23 sure-grip
K&N filterpack-clone Moser cut van axles w 11" drums
Rhino performance muffler Duals with Formula S exhaust tips
w/dual exhaust Power steering/Dealer installed
                                        airconditioning