Re: What makes after market exhaust better?

From: WillTier (WillTier@AOL.COM)
Date: Thu Jan 15 1998 - 20:29:05 EST

<< Opinions on the dual vs single cat backs? Is there much noticable
 difference between the two - ie. response, hp, torque, etc.? >>

I doubt you would find any noticeable difference from single to dual using the
same type and brand of muffler, just personal preference as to single or dual
outlets. Personally I am a dual exhaust person.

<<I remember seeing somebody say they got a slight reduction in torque
after adding a cat back system. Anybody experienced this on a V8? I'm
still confused as to why reducing backpressure would reduce torque
and/or increase hp.>>

The less back pressure the more HP, certain amounts of backpressure will help
build torque, it is just the way it is.

<<What makes the aftermarket setups better than stock? The stock system on
my Dak seems relatively unencumbered - the bends are pretty gentle. Do
the crimp style bends add that much restriction. The stock muffler is a
very small cylindrical unit. Much smaller than many of the after market
"high-flow" units I've seen. Does it contain really restrictive
baffling?>>

The mufflers are usually more restrictive and many of the aftermarket setups
have larger pipe sizes with less restrictive muffler.

This is my view and not necessarily gospel but I hope it helps.

Bill