Re: noise while cold

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Fri Jan 16 1998 - 11:37:58 EST

Mike wrote:

> > For reference, truck is 98 dak cc 4wd sport. v8 auto 45 days old. 4800
> > miles on it.
> >
> > First question is it sounds like my truck has an exhaust leak, kind of
> > like a leaky exhaust manifold, leaks only under acceleration. It's not
> > real loud, but more noticeable when engine is cold. at first
> > I though it was an engine ping.
> > The dealer tells me it's normal catalytic converter noise (98 dak cc
> > with a v8) anyone else notice this noise.
>
> I notice, only when dead cold, first thing in AM, a LOT of engine
> fan noise, and the shift points are way up, even under very light load.
> (I don't belive in gooseing an engine till it's warm) After 2-3 min,
> the fan/air noise settles down. Almost like the thermal clutch
> on the fan works backwards. Not an exhaust sound on mine.
> Mike

Got my 98 Dak in December - 40 days old, ~750 miles.

I also notice a LOT of fan/air noise after the engine is first started
and cold. I agree, it seems as though the thermal clutch works
backwards. Maybe an electric fan will be found on my Dak sometime in the
future.

I have also noticed what sounds like more exhaust/engine noise when the
engines is cold. Doesn't really sound like a leak though - more of a
sharp, tinny exhaust sound. When I start out on cold mornings, the
increased noise is most noticable when I climb a hill near my house
while in 3rd - I think I've even heard a little pinging. Once the engine
warms for another couple minutes, things sound a bit more normal. Don't
notice any pings once the engine is warm.

jeff
98 RC V8 5spd 3.55LSD