Re: Extended warranty...

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Tue Jan 20 1998 - 11:02:24 EST

Bruce Aaron Hefner wrote:
> You shouldn't have such problems out of your Dodge, never heard of anyone
> with a horror-story like that with a Dodge. Heck I know of people with
> over 200K on their Daks who've never had to do any major repairs on their
> truck. But, I guess it would still be better to get the extended warranty
> for peace of mind if nothing else....

Sorry Bruce, but I beg to differ. CC does have a reputation for horror
stories. You may not remember the sorted past of their A4 auto trans
used in minivans in the late 80's and early 90's, or all the ABS
problems and law suits.

I have a 96 Grand Voyager with a 3.3L V6 (OK, so its a Plymouth, you can
change the front bumper and call it a Dodge Caravan). We've had quite a
few problems with it, some of which still haven't been resolved:

windshield wiper control (fixed 4 times and still screwed up)
sliding door operation (still not fixed)
sliding door lock (still not fixed)
windshield leak (still not fixed)
replaced deformed gas tank
added gas tank baffles and new mounts
fuel filler tube recall - replaced
rear suspension rattles (still not fixed)
interior light flicker (still not fixed)
CD/cassette intermittantly won't eject (to be replaced)

And my personal favorites...

replaced steering column (5K miles)
replaced water pump & tension pulley (15K miles)
replaced 1 cylinder head, valve guides, 2 burnt valves, and
        belt tension pulley (23K miles - this one pissed me off,
        they kept it for a solid week)

I'm sure I've left out a few odds and ends, but you get the idea.
Granted the 96 was the first year for the new model, but give me a
break. Subsequent model years have far fewer TSBs. I'm concerned because
my 3/36 warrantee is about to run out and I do NOT have an extended
warrantee. I'm planning on pursuing arbitration through CC to try and
get my B2B warrantee extended. If that fails I'm gonna trade the thing
in. I must say, all of the above hasn't cost me a cent directly - just
lots of hassle taking the vehicle in to the dealer.

The Daks, on the other hand, seem to have a pretty good rep, and the
number of posted TSBs for these trucks is pretty low. I did not get an
extended warrantee on my Dak either. Soooo..., I guess I've still got a
bit of gambling spirit left in me...

The bottom line here is that its possible to get a troublesome vehicle
from any manufacturer, INCLUDING Dodge (CC).

I've never been lucky enough to have an extended warrantee pay off, so I
don't buy them any more. My father-inlaw seems to score every time,
though, and buys them religiously. If you feel more secure with an
extended warrantee, I agree with a previous post - definitely get one
underwritten by CC.

jeff
Still love my 98 RC V8 5spd 3.55LSD