Re: Extended warranty...

From: Andy Callahan (quasideedle@uky.campus.mci.net)
Date: Tue Jan 20 1998 - 17:20:42 EST

At 02:50 PM 1/20/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>Guess I didn't make myself clear in my previous posts, what I meant is
>that I've never heard of a Dodge having as many problems as his GMC did, I
>mean granted you've had several problems, but all total your costs to have
>personally fixed would've been a couple thousand, his GMC had $20K in
>repairs, yours was a horror story, his was a nightmare...BTW my brother
>has a 96 Dodge Caravan, has over 30K on it now, only problem they've ever
>had was the AC blower wouldn't work, took it in and came to find out that
>a vacuum line had been cut into by one of the guys from the oil change
>place when they changed the air filter(Cost $20 to fix), so considering
>that was a result of a dumba$$, it's had no problems....As for the other
>things please enlighten me, and btw didn't their minivan of the late '80's
>use a Mitsubishi drivetrain? so technically it would make it Mitsubishi's
>sorted past as far as the trans, right?....
>
>Bruce

I think some of the trannies may have been built by Mitsu (the 3-speed
autos maybe), but the 4-speeds were the problem and I'm pretty sure they
were a CC item. Anyway, my mother also has a '96 Grand Caravan, and to
date with 37K miles we've had the following problems:
        --sliding door lock malfunctions (replaced)
        --heating/cooling knobs broke (replaced)
        --CD/Cassette unit failure (replaced) (same thing happened on the head
unit in my Dak and they use the exact same unit)
        --Thumping from rear (not the famous gas tank TSB--still unresolved)
        --flickering interior lights (unresolved)
        --winshield wipers come on on their own (their is a TSB on this but not
fixed yet)

        --there may be more, I'm not positive

Now, as for the late 80s/early 90s caravans, my mom had a '91 Grand
Caravan. During it's short 10 month life it had 3 new trannies put in and
was scheduled to receive a fourth when my mom was plowed by a tow truck
which total it. So we replaced it with a '92 since CC themselves promised
that the tranny thing had been fixed. WRONG!! Although it was better, we
still had to replace the tranny in the '92 twice. Now this was along with
many other small items fixed under warranty. You can't tell me that that
wouldn't have cost a lot of money, especially after you add in all the
labor. My point is this: every car maker makes some very fine cars and
some not so fine cars. Mechanical failure is almost certain when you mass
produce vechicles at the rate they do. I'm tired of all this crap about
DODGE being so superior to other car makers. I owned an '89 FORD
Thunderbird for three years (from 50K to 82K miles) and never had ONE
SINGLE PROBLEM with it! My dad has owned several BUICKS and loves them and
has had no trouble. I hate the narrow-minded view that some of you
possess. It's okay if you want to talk about how much you love Mopar and
how "good" the quality of their vehicles are, but it's not necessary to
bash all other manufacturers.

Just my opinion.

Andy