Header clearance problem

From: Michael Clark (mike@SNAKEBITE.COM)
Date: Wed Jan 21 1998 - 19:25:58 EST

Ok I have a favor to ask of all the Doug Thorley guys out there. I have
just recently developed a banging sound that I traced to my headers.
Actually it is the crosover pipe that is sitting about 1/32's of an inch
away from part of the frame on the passenger side. When the engine is
cold (ie. rough shaky idle) this pipe hits the frame and I get a nasty
bumping banging sound. If you look at the frame I guess it's where the
lower control arm?? A arm??? don't know what to call it connects to the
frame, there is a welded bracket on the inside of the frame and this is
what the pipe is hitting. It's the part of the crosover pipe that has
the O2 sensor in it, actually it's just in front of the sensor where the
passenger side pipe makes that upward bend. Kinda get the idea where
I'm talkin' about yet?? If you look you'll see where I'm talkin'
about. If you change your oil it's right infront of your face
practically. Now to the favor part ;~) If someone could see how much
clearance they have in this area I'd really appreciate it. When I put
the headers on I didn't notice it being tight in this area and I'm just
wondering if my motor has shifted (if that's possible) or if maybe the
crosover needs to be tightened somewhere. Bolts appear to be tight
everywhere, and no exhaust leaks I can detect. Any ideas? Headers have
been on for 5 months or so with no problems until just recently. I want
to have this fixed before I rub a hole in the crosover from the constant
vibration.

Thanks guys...

--
Michael Clark            mike@snakebite.com
     '93 MarkIII 4X2 V-8 SWB RC auto, DDBC, MP SBEC