Re: Performance mods....

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Thu Jan 22 1998 - 17:03:02 EST

> 2) You could also get a K&N FIPK, which replaces the entire air box, and is an
> open element filter. There is also an FIPK clone, that you can do for cheaper,
> but I'm not getting it b/c you have to bend your own s- bolt, and it doesn't
> come with the filter cleaner, or some hook up that escaped my mind now.

  Nah, it's easy to brew your own. You don't really need to bend up an
S-bolt if you don't want to (I did mine, but it's pretty cheesy). All
you need is to swap out the carriage bolt holding your current aircan
for a 4.5" one, available at any hardware store.

  The PCV breather hole is also pretty easy, all it requires is to break
out the knock-off that seals the hole in the aircan. Or, you can get the
"marine breather adapter" that K&N sells, and it's a no-brainer.

  Or you can pay the extra $40 or so for the real FIPK. Then you actually
get a CARB exemption number and not have to worry about visual emissions
inspection. I'm just gonna swap on the stock box when that time comes.

  Ron