LSD

From: JCALLENDS@AOL.COM
Date: Tue Feb 03 1998 - 11:11:35 EST

>Joe Borg wrote:
>
>> Yes, you have whats known as an LSD (limited slip
differential)
>> formerly known as sure grip (SG). Instead of all
power going to one
>> wheel and doing massive burnouts the power is
dispersed to both
>wheels
>> for greater traction
    Karl Moltzan, I'm afraid I'll have to stick with my original statement,
Two black strips on the pavement only means that the differential carrier is
spinning and both wheels are driving, not really hard to do with any vehicle
that has lot's of HP. The reference to a frozen lake was only an example as
opposed to real life situations where many times one tire is on ice or snow
and the other is on pavement, the LSD will transfer power to the wheel that
has traction doesn't make any difference if it's the left or right. When you
speak of both wheels driving at the same time this is refered to as a " locked
rear-end ", This is done on some race cars for obvious reasons, but on road
vehicles two detrimental things always occur: one, as soon as you make any
kind of turn the tires will squeal, and two sooner or later your going to
break an axle. These are exactly the two reasons that a differential is put on
a vehicle in the first place. And as far as both wheels turning in the same
direction on an LSD equipped vehicle with the rear supported off the ground,
for shame that you assume that the same thing happens as when there is
resistance to that turning. Try the same thing with a vehicle that does not
have a LSD and many times the opposite wheel turn in the opposite direction.
  In the technical world weather it be mechanics, electronics, or what ever it
is best to get your answers from actual experience or training rather than by
assumption or what you think is happening.

    Jack Collins----------Older than old!

     87 DAKOTA LE with 225,000+ miles. 98 DAKOTA SLT CC
with 2,000+ miles.