Re: Transfer of power (LSD/SG ID help)

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Tue Feb 03 1998 - 14:05:00 EST

> I am holding a SG unit in my hand and cant figure
> out how it could possibly slip. The gears are constant mesh to both
> wheels.

  The limited-slip differential used in my '95, which is the same as the
one in your hand (I assume) is a clutch-based unit. As long as both rear
wheels have traction while you're turning, the gear lube and clutches will
break loose, allowing the differential to make up the, um, difference
between each wheel's travel. Your hands just aren't strong enough to do
the same with the disassembled unit.

  If one wheel loses traction, the clutches force torque to transfer to the
wheel with traction. It's actually a pretty simple system if you're looking
at one of the diagrams they put in the FSM, but not so easy to explain
verbally.

  Now if someone could explain the other types of LSD (cones, etc.), I'd
be happy.

  Ron