Re: DML Digest V3 #477

From: JELD226@AOL.COM
Date: Fri Feb 06 1998 - 19:31:29 EST

<< Does anyone with a FSM have the procedure for removing an open
       differential and installing a LSD (SG) unit? I already purchased the
       unit and a financial catastophe may force me to install it myself.
       Does it require shimming, special adjustments and tools or is it a
       bolt in operation. >>
The older 8 1/4 (and 9 1/4) don't have shims to adjust the LSD. They have
adjusters with bolt head shape to them to adjust them. I made this tool by
CAREFULLY backing the adjusters out from the inside,found a bolt close to that
size and welded it to a shaft long enough to fit from outside to the center.
Worked very well (50k and still going).You'll also need a dial indicator and
mount,I use a magnetic type, Thats needed to check run out. It's not a hard
job just take your time. But like I said thats an older rear I think there is
a change in the new DAK's (97 up)