Re: Vibration

From: Patrick & Kelly Engram (shetland@pop.erols.com)
Date: Mon Feb 09 1998 - 21:57:22 EST

am14@chrysler.com wrote:

> Jon S. writes; >> I just had my tires replaced, and I just noticed
> that I'm getting a pretty decent vibration when I brake. (The faster
> I'm going, the more noticeable the vibration.) I was unable to
> determine if it was coming from a specific tire, or what. The vibratio
> n just seemed to be "everywhere". (I could feel the vibration through
> the wheel.) The previous tires were going bald; maybe it is out of
> alignment? It tracks straight when I let go of the wheel though.
> I also noticed a slight vibration (barely noticeable) at highway
> speeds. (70-80mph) Starting to apply brakes from 70-80 causes a very
> noticeable vibration though.<<
>
> Probably need to have your rotors turned, they are prone to have soft
> spots and to warp.

***If this braking problem was not there before replacing your tires,
then the lug nuts may have been torqued incorrectly which can inherently
set up vibrations and brake pulsations. Loosen the lugs a bit and
torque each to 90lbs/ft incrementlally (60, then 75, then 90) and then
drive it again. This may completely correct the problem or you may then
need to get the rotors machined cause some tire shop monkey cranked the
lugs on too tight!