Re: Vibration

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 09 1998 - 22:42:28 EST

At 09:57 PM 2/9/98 -0500, Patrick & Kelly Engram wrote:
>am14@chrysler.com wrote:
>>
>> Jon S. writes; >> I just had my tires replaced, and I just noticed
>> that I'm getting a pretty decent vibration when I brake. (The faster
>> I'm going, the more noticeable the vibration.) I was unable to
>> determine if it was coming from a specific tire, or what. The vibratio
>> n just seemed to be "everywhere". (I could feel the vibration through
>> the wheel.) The previous tires were going bald; maybe it is out of
>> alignment? It tracks straight when I let go of the wheel though.
>> I also noticed a slight vibration (barely noticeable) at highway
>> speeds. (70-80mph) Starting to apply brakes from 70-80 causes a very
>> noticeable vibration though.<<
>>
>> Probably need to have your rotors turned, they are prone to have soft
>> spots and to warp.
>>

>***If this braking problem was not there before replacing your tires,
>then the lug nuts may have been torqued incorrectly which can inherently
>set up vibrations and brake pulsations. Loosen the lugs a bit and
>torque each to 90lbs/ft incrementlally (60, then 75, then 90) and then
>drive it again. This may completely correct the problem or you may then
>need to get the rotors machined cause some tire shop monkey cranked the
>lugs on too tight!

    I think that may have been the problem (or at least part of it)...
Here's what happened:

  (A little history first: When they put the new tires on, they gave
me the truck back and one of the lug nuts in the rear left tire wasn't
all the way in! I went back in and told them about it. The manager
had them pull the truck back in, fix the lug, and check all four tires.)

  After driving a little bit today, I stopped and got out of the truck.
When I did, I noticed a "burning rubber" kind of smell. I checked all 4
tires, and the smell was coming from the left rear tire. The left brake
drum was *really* hot, and the vibration was much more noticeable.

   I took it back to the tire place, and they checked it out. I watched
them as they were working on it, and they had a really hard time getting
one lug out of the left rear tire. The diagnosis of the overheating/smell
problem was that the emergency brake cable was stuck on. I have no
idea if that is something they could have caused, but they fixed it for
free, at any rate. I asked the manager if they had some trouble with
one of the lugs. He said yes, it was stripped pretty bad (along with
the post.) He said they would fix it for free. They knocked out the
post and replaced it. They didn't have a lug nut in stock so they
ordered one from a dealer and they'll be putting it on Wednesday. (all
free)

   I'm positive that it was them who stripped the post and the lug in
the first place; fortunately they're owning up to it and fixing it for no
additional cost. (Stupid airguns)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.