Cooling system. Was: 1996 SBEC price info

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 09 1998 - 23:01:03 EST

At 05:26 PM 2/9/98 -0600, Michael Clark wrote:
>Jon Steiger wrote:
>>
>> Now someone will probably post a price lower than $279. :-)
>> Oh well, that's already $20 cheaper than I thought I'd have to
>> spend for it, so I'm happy. Its also nice to patronize a place
>> that puts out a dedicated Dakota catalog. I can't wait to
>> check it out! :-)
>
>I think that's what I paid for my '93 MPSBEC, sounds like a good price.
>Let us know how that Dakota catalog looks. If it's any good I'll have
>to get one.

 Will do!

>> I guess its time to start checking out those 180 degree
>> thermostats. :-)
>
>The '96's may have a different enough fuel system that detonation will
>not be a problem for you. I wish the earlier ones were that way. But
>you want the 180 anyway and it's an easy swap.

  That's possible... However, I kind of suspect that I might have a
problem on my truck. In the winter, I have to run premium or it pings.
I don't know if they formulate the gas differently or if it has
something to do with the cold, but when I put the cheaper stuff in
there, it pings.

   I went ahead and got a thermostat at Parts America. ($5 for the
thermostat and $.99 for a gasket) The thermostat has a lifetime
warrantee on it. I think it might be a good idea to install it even
if I wasn't getting the SBEC... They also had a cheaper one that was
under $3, but it didn't have the lifetime warantee, and I could tell from
looking at it that it wasn't as well made.

>Oh yeah Jon, the other night in private email you asked me about Redline
>WatterWetter. Well, it's in the Summit catalog for $7.95 for a 12 ounce
>bottle that treats up to 20 quarts. Since your in the modin' mood you
>might as well order a bottle, just a couple of bucks and well worth it.

  Thanks! While we're on the subject, does anyone have a cheaper source?
(Hey, its like an on-line auction... "I've got 7.95, do I hear 6.95?
Whattlyabid? whattlyabid?") ;-)

>The cooler the engine the more power. Every tiny bit adds up after a
>while...... You'll soon be smokin' tires like crazy soon. Ooops, maybe
>you should have held off on the new tires until you got your computer
>and new thermostat broke in. ;~)

    Heh heh heh! I can smoke 'em now; why do you think I needed new ones?
;-)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.