Re: New engine

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Wed Feb 11 1998 - 09:59:00 EST

Bruce Aaron Hefner wrote:

> > In a message dated 98-02-10 15:36:24 EST, Bruce writes:
> >
> > << Personally I like swapping up to bigger engines (More Power, More Power,
> > arrh, arrh), not to smaller engines to me lower gas mileage is worth it
> > for the extra power, but hey, to each his own.. >>
> >
> Yes but if they can make 4.6 liters do that, looks like they could keep
> the same size (i.e. 5.2 and 5.8 L) and just bump up the power and
> efficiency of it not decrease the size of the engine.....
>
> Bruce

Don't forget that all of the auto makers are under financial pressure
from the gov to reduce their fleet-wide fuel consumption. This pressure
has been applied ever since the 73 oil embargo. The older less-high-tech
engines like the 318 and 360 will continue to cost CC more money to
produce as time goes on. Since like any business they are in it to make
money, they are compelled to phase out the older engines. Simple
business economics.

I agree, the 318 is a piece of Americana. Hey, I helped a friend do a
valve job and performance upgrades on his 318 Barracuda back in the mid
70s. Great high school memories... 93 octane leaded premium for 35
cents/gal... those were the days for cruisin. I'd hate to see em die
away. But then again, like somebody else said in a previous post, I
wouldn't hesitate to drop in a dual OHC 4.5L engine that put 300 hp and
gets 30mpg on the highway.

Its a question of priorities. Do you want more power, better power to
weight ratio, and better fuel economy. Or do you want to maintain good
ol' American steel with its design origin in the 60s muscle car era. No
reason you can't keep your 318 around for a long time. We just won't be
seeing them in the new vehicles in the next few years. :(

jeff
98 RC 4x2 V8 5spd 3.55SG