Re: Gas & Plugs

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 13 1998 - 13:22:15 EST

> At 01:11 PM 2/12/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >The lowest octane gas I've ever seen is 87, so if they recommened 86 or
> >above you should be fine with whatever gas you buy....
> >
> >Bruce
>
> Well, in Utah the three grades of fuel are 85, 88 and 91 octane (unless it's
> changed since I moved). Supreme used to be 90. I remember a few years ago
> when Rainbo (now Amoco) and Chevron both introduced 91 at about the same
> time and had a big advertising war about it.
>
> When driving across the country, I noticed that most of Wyoming was the same
> way until we got out of the mountains. Does anyone know if they adjust the
> octane value for altitude? It would seem to explain it.
>
> Jason

Our octane grades here are 87, 89, and either 91 or 93 depending on the
station for supreme, same everywhere I've been in GA, Tenn., FL, and
AL, so I guess it is the mountains (But that still doesn't explain why it
isn't lower at the gas stations in the Mountains we have in GA), I just
dunno....

Bruce