Re: Re: Rhino Liner (was FIPK Sound)

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Fri Feb 13 1998 - 13:14:24 EST

At 08:25 AM 2/13/98 , you wrote:

>Hey Mike,
>
>Hope you don't mind if I jump in here.
>
>I had a Rhino Liner put in my 98 Dak last December. The lining material
>is great - definitely tough stuff. However, the final appearance
>quality of application is very dependent on the shop doing the
>application. The installers (painters) who sprayed my liner gave it a
>"wet" look by laying down a smooth glossy base coat and then applying a
>final spatter coat which looks like water beads - kind of cool, and a
>bit different then other liners I've seen. The final spatter coat also
>leaves the surface very non-skid. They were also able to keep the front
>drain holes open.
>
>My major mistake was having them spray over the rails. DON'T DO IT.
<snip>

No, I certainly don't mind you or anyone else jumping in, the more info the
better. I am definitely only going to have the liner put in under the rail,
I have already decided that. Maybe if you had the liner color matched to
the truck it wouldn't be so bad, but my truck is silver and with a black
liner I personally don't think it looks that good no matter how good a job
they do. The place I'm having it done (Rhino Liner of Ft. Worth (Texas,
USA)) also sells and installs those rail guards. I'm considering having
them put one over the tailgate rail (if they don't want too much for the
install). I figure if they do both at the same time they will get a good
match and fit with the liner. They also finish the liner with that final
spatter coat like you describe and yes, it looks real good that way.

I'm glad to hear they were able to keep your front drain holes open. Also,
how good a job did they do keeping the front tie downs in the bed open? Can
you still use the covers for them?

Now, if Uncle Sam will just come thru with that refund...

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 Dakota  Regular Cab  Short Bed