Re: Parts prices resource. Was: 1996 SBEC price info

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 14 1998 - 03:06:19 EST

At 10:47 PM 2/12/98 -0600, Michael Clark wrote:
>Jon Steiger wrote:
>> > ----
>> >

>> Unfortunately, the computing policies at SUNY Fredonia would prevent
>> me from putting an advertisement up on the site.
>>
>> What is the parts distributors' incentive for giving discounts to
>> the Impalla club?
>
>I guess the thinking behind it is that the people in the group are
>performance nuts and will be buying aftermarket parts a lot more than
>the average owner. So by offering a small discount to this select group
>of people they make more sales. I mean they're gonna buy blowers and
>nitrous systems from somewhere, only makes sense for the vendor to
>discount a bit and tie up the sales.

  Ok, I was wondering if it might be something like this...

>To bad SUNY won't allow something like this .... bastards. Well, maybe
>it can still be done. A few options are a Geocities page (do they allow
>this??) or I still have some space left for my home page, I could host
>it. What about a home page only account with an ISP? Just some ideas,
>but we really should persue this, I think everyone would benefit.

  Yeah, they don't let you use any of their computers for personal gain
or profit.

  However....

  What makes us different than the Impalla club? The only thing I can
think of is that they're all in one geographic location, and we're spread
around the globe... (With most in the US and Canada) You didn't
specifically say so, but from your post, it didn't sound as though the
Impalla club had a web page where they offered advertising to the parts
distributors, so I was wondering what the distributors' incentive was.

  We're still a "club", just like the Impalla club. If they can get
a discount without web page advertising, why couldn't we do the same? :-)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.