Re: Why not only Edelbrock 1208

From: RLewis7785@AOL.COM
Date: Sat Feb 14 1998 - 23:18:45 EST

In a message dated 98-02-14 21:16:28 EST, Edgar writes:

<< I have seen a lot about the FIPK clone and I want to take it on myself. I
do
 not understand why not the Edelbrock 1208 by itself. If I understand
correctly,
 Edelbrock 1208 is the air cleaner with an element. That would be sufficient
 replace the stock air cleaner right? The K&N E-1080 is in practically terms
 filter that would replace the filter that comes in the Edelbrock cleaner,
isn't
 it? Could one just install the Edelbrock and then at another time add the
K&N? >>

Edgar.

Absolutely, you can just use the Edelbrock filter. The big deal about the K &
N is that it is oiled gauze. This has one, in my opinion lesser, benefit, and
one real benefit. The first is airflow - Oiled gauze simply allows more air
to pass. The second is lifetime use - the K & N is a lifetime element. As
for the greater airflow issue, goto the RPM page (where you find Fresh Air By
Meldrum - FABM), here you'll find calculations for airfow requirements for a
particular displacement. You'll also find how to calculate required filter
area with different materials. With the calcs, you'll find that a 10 x 3
paper air cleaner provides almost twice the required area for the V8. The
oiled gauze provides even more. While more may be better, it would seem that
you would have long passed the point of diminishing returns. If this was the
route I had chosen (see below), I would have used the paper filter until it
was time to replace it, and depending on my finances at the time, bought what
I could afford.

Below, are a few notes for ya! (these are only my opinions from my
observations on the mailing list)

A) The 10" (1208) Edelbrock Air Cleaner fits over the TB without any adapters.

B) The 14" (1207) Edelbrock Air Cleaner needs a 3/4 in. spacer to clear the
underhood obstacles, and then you cannot use the 3" filter (I beleive Mr
Trottman can second this)

C) The Edelbrock triangular filter (1222) comes with an oiled gauze lifetime
filter (~$52). I've been told by someone on the list that it fits nicely with
no spacer and looks good.

D) The Edelbrock Pro-Flo Filter (1002) fits nicely and looks good (~$20). This
is what I put on my truck a week ago - I like it. It has a lifetime foam
filter. There is a picture of this one under Todd Flummer at:
                       www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/7873/dragtruk1.html

In the end, whatever your choice, you'll love the sound, performance and looks
of any of these aftermarket Air Cleaners.

Good Luck!!!!!!

Richard Lewis
E-Mail : rlewis7785@AOL.COM

92 Dodge Dakota Club Cab, LE Trim
318 C.I.D V8
3.55 Rear Axle Ratio.
Two Tone Black & Silver
Leer Crown Series Topper Painted to match.
Mopar Bedliner
EdelBrock 1002 Air Cleaner.
Firestone Firehawk SS10 235/70R15