46RH transmission band adjustments

From: David Margrave (davidma@premier1.net)
Date: Tue Feb 17 1998 - 22:50:19 EST

Folks,

I'm wondering if anyone here has performed a band adjustment on their
transmission. I've heard different opinions on whether or not this is a
required procedure. Anyhow my '95 V8 dakota is coming up on 60,000
miles, and a couple times over the last few months I think I've heard a
slight hesitation or slipping during 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts. But its not
any kind of a regular thing that happens frequently.

The shop manual describes it as loosening a lock nut, tightening to 72
in-lbs., and backing off 2-7/8 turns for the front band, (2 turns for
the rear band), re-tighten lock nut.

I'm going to do a fluid and filter change at 60,000 miles and I'm
thinking I'll adjust the bands while I have it open (although you can
adjust the front band at any time) I've never done anything to a
transmission other than open it and replace the filter, so I'm a little
cautious about going in and messing around with the bands. Anything I
should be especially aware of when I do this, and things I should look
out for afterwards, i.e. billowing smoke, metal shrapel ;)

And one more thing, this vehicle did have recall #690 performed on it,
replace reverse check ball and seperator plate in '94-'96 Rams and
Dakotas with snow plow prep package. Would this have an impact on what
I should tighten the reverse band to? Or should I just leave the
reverse band alone and just adjust the front?

Thanks,

Dave Margrave