Re: Re: Engine Noise When Cold

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 18 1998 - 14:26:44 EST

> Ive worked in and around a auto radiator shop for 26 year now. Most veichles
> with temp controlledfan clutches do this when cold. Notice I said Most. Many GM
> veichles only have a 3 blade fan
> which does not sound nearly as loud as if you have a 5,6,or7blade fan. The
> larger the fan, or larger number of blades or steeply pitched blades the more the
> noise. Also there are at least 2 different
> types of fan clutches. One type is temperature controlled and used by most
> manifactures. Another
> type is only a kind of fluid clutch which is not temperature controled and works
> only on engine rpm.
> These are typically cheap replacements sold by auto supply stores and not often
> used as factory
> equipment. The way you can usually tell which type you have is to look on the
> front (side towards
> the radiator) of the clutch. The thermost controlled fans usually have a flat
> coiled bi-metal spring
> exposed on the front. The non thermostatic types usually have a smoth metal
> plate on the front.
> Some day ALL veichles will have electric radiator fans which are controlled by
> the computer. These save space, weight, Horsepower, and cool better at slow
> speeds or when stopped in traffic. They may not last as long though, and they
> cant move as much air as a large, multi-blade fan at higher engine rpms.

The electric fans definitely don't last as long as regular fans, my omom
had to pay $200 for new electric fan MOTORS on her '89 Cutlass Supreme
when it only had 56K miles on it, I would prefer to have a regular fan
that makes a little noise occasionally than have to replace electric fans
every few years, but hey that's just me....

Bruce