Re: Questions on my Options

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Fri Feb 20 1998 - 09:08:02 EST

Bob Bernstein wrote:

> One last one, would 10w40 be a better choice than 10w30 for this engine in
> the summer? I used to have a 440 charger and 10w40 was recommended in the
> summer.

  No. In order to get the 30 point multi-viscosity spread with a 10 SAE
base oil, the manufacturers must use a great deal more polymer in their
additive package than with 10w30. This stuff breaks down quicker than
the base oil, and this is only one reason you will not see many manufacturer
recommendations for 10w40 any more.

  Stick with what the owner's manual tells you.

  Ron

P.S. I DO believe that synthetics are essentially better motor oils, but
the real question is whether they really offer 4x the benefits of mineral
oils, considering their price. Since I live in a moderate climate, I stick
with a good quality mineral oil.