Re: 318 - 360 interchange; was Cat question

From: T & J (jan@bewellnet.com)
Date: Fri Feb 20 1998 - 12:41:33 EST

>From: Tim Roller<starwolf@bewellnet.com
>Fri.10:00,20th

>I'm the one who started this bru-ha about internal and external balancing
and maybe I can help clear up a few myths. The old 318's from the late 60's
thru the 90's, I have found them to have all been to be internally balanced.
What this did for the cars or trucks these engines were installed in was
give good fuel economy, but you had to bring on more RPM's to get top speed
and torque. When the 360 came out, the Dodge Corp. it was externally
balanced for a savings of time. That's not saying that the internals weren't
balanced(just close enough). The harmonic balancer, flywheel,flexplate was
the balance points for this engine. Along with larger intake and exhaust
runners and a redesigned intake manafold with larger intake runners for
lower RPM torque to move heavier weight vehicles with less RPM. Todays 318
MAGNUM engines use a combination of both engines. They have the 360 style
heads(highly modified)and big barrel intake for low end torque and
internally balanced crank,rods,pistons,etc. for higher RPM's and long
lasting life(as long as no overrevving is encountered). Of course when
high-performance modifications are made,each mod effects another aspect of
the engine. Such as exhaust,effecting gas flow,and changing
air-cleaners(open element) affecting breathing ability,which in turn effects
higher RPM's,better torque, but leaner conditions on top-end because the
fuel-injectors weren't changed to higher flow models.
Hope this helps between the two motors. I have run across some internally
balanced 360's,340's, and other motors that were SUPPOSED to be externally
balanced, but it was rare, and the steel vs cast type cranks may have made
the difference.