RE: Gibson exhaust installation

From: Craig Baltzer (cbaltzer@Anjura.COM)
Date: Fri Feb 20 1998 - 23:03:22 EST

I think the general principle at work here is exhaust gas speed. You
need an exhaust system appropriately sized so that the exhaust moves
fast enough to aid in cylinder scavenging on the exhaust stroke. If the
system is too big for the manifold/header/head design, then cylinder
scavenging is incomplete ("exhaust" still left in the cylinder) as the
exhaust gas is moving too slow to "suck" exhaust out and power suffers
(remember that the piston doesn't go all the way to the "top" and "push"
all of the exhaust out of the cylinder, you need a bunch of "sucking" to
get the job done). Too small, and there isn't sufficient flow available
in the upper RPM ranges to "clean out all the exhaust", so again the
cylinder is left with some residual exhaust in it, and upper RPM power
suffers..

This is the reason that some exhaust/header systems hurt low end power;
they make more power in the top end as there is sufficient gas speed for
scavenging (as the motor is turning faster) and improved flow, but at
low RPM, there just isn't enough gas speed and the cylinders don't get
emptied. People often say "oh, there is not enough backpressure so low
end torque has suffered", but thats not really the issue...

Clear as mud?

Craig

P.S. If the "bap, bap, bap" is occurring under deceleration with
fractional throttle openings, then its not a sign of anything other than
a "loud" exhaust and a disrupted exhaust flow (which makes squat
difference since you're not making any power at that point). Now if you
hear "bap, bap, bap" under acceleration, then thats a problem :-)...

Craig Baltzer - Anjura Technology Corp - Ottawa, Ontario
Craig.Baltzer@anjura.com - (613) 727-1411