RE: Re 0-60 sedans!?

From: Craig Baltzer (cbaltzer@Anjura.COM)
Date: Sat Feb 21 1998 - 16:16:36 EST

Guess the point is that Chrysler has not chosen to play in these markets
(and obviously there are $$$s there or the other guys wouldn't be in
it), so they don't have the market "covered". In Ottawa I see Maximas,
Caddy STSs, Contour SVT and Grand Prix GTP quite regularly (we have a
big SVT dealer up here, so there are quite a few "SVT" cars (Contour,
Cobra, etc.)). For a number of my friends they have been "stepping stone
cars" (i.e. originally bought a Grand Prix, wanted a bit more hoot, so
traded for a GTP the next time rather than going elsewhere).

The disappointing part is that the Contour SVT, Grand Prix GTP, etc are
just "hotted up" versions of regular models; other than "auto-stick"
there is little in the way of performance enhancements available at
Chrysler. I'd love to have a Chrysler option that had the Avenger body
and handling, but had some hoot. To me these types of cars are the "next
step" cars when you get responsible and have to get rid of the
Camaro/Firebird/Mustang, etc. and can't afford a Merc/Lexus/Accura/BMW
but don't want to drive a 9-10 second slug-mobile. Maybe it doesn't
matter to Chrysler 'cause they don't have anything competing with the
Camaro, et al.

I also think this lack of "corporate" enthusiam spills over into the
after market. Just try finding any "go fast" parts for a Chrysler
product outside of the trucks, Neon and Viper. Good luck! There are a
bunch of things out there for Maximas and the SVT/SHO guys, as well as
suspension/braking parts for the GTP. Even in the "Mopar Performance
Catalog" there are no (nada, squat) parts available for anying "new" in
the car line (outside of Neon). Oh, I'm sorry, there are some decal
packages available, and some nice seat covers.

Anyway, I'm sure I've annoyed everyone with my musings (and Bob Eaton
hasn't phoned to asked me to come over and lend a hand at Chrysler) so
I'll shutup now and let the list get back to Dakota content...

Craig

Craig Baltzer - Anjura Technology Corp - Ottawa, Ontario
Craig.Baltzer@anjura.com - (613) 727-1411

        [snip]