Re: Re: 98 radio problems

From: Jerry Jackson (jacksonj@cyberramp.net)
Date: Mon Feb 23 1998 - 18:53:57 EST

Seems I remember reading about this in the archive..anyway the
stock speaker wiring may the problem. Two possibilities, 1) there
is a short or loose connection somewhere; 2) the negative lead is
actually grounded to chassis, which may kill your aftermarket
head unit. Leave the factory harness alone and replace it with
wires rated to your unit's power (typical radios without external
amps don't need large guage wires, just low capacitance
speaker wire).

I know the '97 at least has some strange grounding going on, which
has precluded me from installing certain alarm sensors until I get my
hands on a schematic. Another possibility with the radio is that there
is an internal problem (faulty chip or other discreet component).
I had a new car with a similar problem and it turned out to be a
cracked circuit board causing intermittent contact.