Re: SBEC install update (pinging and thermostat)

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 23 1998 - 22:22:34 EST

At 01:10 AM 2/21/98 -0600, Michael Clark wrote:

>On 2/21/98, at 1:38 AM, Jon Steiger wrote:
>

>> Oh! (Duh...) I almost forgot the main point of this post!
>>I am VERY happy to report that, during my preliminary test
>>drive, I had absolutely no pinging, and I was really putting
>>it through its paces. (5th gear up hills, etc) Also,
>>the water temperature guage shows the engine being much
>>cooler. Before, the usual position of the needle during
>>normal driving was slightly left of top dead center. During
>>the test drive, the needle never made it off the second
>>hash mark on the left hand side of the guage! I'm not sure
>>if that guage is linear or not, but if so, the engine is
>>running almost 50% cooler! (Doesn't seem possible though,
>>just going from a (195?) to a 180 degree t-stat. The truck
>>also seemed to have more power, though I suspect a great
>>deal of that is due to an overactive immagination. :-)
>>

>> -Jon-
>>

>Welcome to the 180 club Jon! Isn't it cool to see your needle rest on the
>second hash mark? I also noticed a bit of increase in power when I

  Yes, indeed. :-)

>switched mine. It only makes sense when you think about it. Cooler engine
>= cooler intake temp = cooler denser air = more power. Not a lot, but
>enough that you can feel it over the stock tstat. You know headers also
>help pinging..... <evil grin> ;~)

  Heh heh heh! Oh yes, headers are definitely on the list. After the
tonneau cover though, I think. At the moment, I'm thinking of getting a
tonneau cover. If I do that, I'll probably get a cowl induction hood too,
to save on painting costs. A brass cap and rotor is in my very near future
too. I'm thinking of doing a cat-back and the headers at the same time, just
to minimize the hassle... I could pull the entire system out all at once.

>Was it pinging during normal driving in the hills? Mine never pings during
>"normal" driving, only on very dry days when I'm really pushing it over
>4,000rpm. Now that I have the 180 tstat, headers, and WaterWetter, it
>hardly ever pings, and if it does it is much less severe than before those
>mods.

  Yep, it was pinging during normal driving.

>One thing you want to watch for Jon (and I doubt you will have any
>problems) is that your engine gets hot enough, ie. no trouble codes. Make
>sure over drive (oops, you're a stick man)..... Just make sure your mileage
>doesn't drop to ridiculous levels which would indicate the computer not
>going into closed loop. Other than that have fun!

  Oh surrre, now they tell me. ;-) It'll be interesting to see what my
MPG will be at the next fill up. I've been getting 13-15 during the
winter (mebbe because of the gas?). It would be nice if these mods would
increase gas mileage. ('cept I can't keep my foot out of it) ;-)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.