Re: SynOil

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 24 1998 - 14:18:42 EST

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Sam Parthemer wrote:
> I have had 3 rebuilds on my motorcycle, and on the last rebuild I put
> in Golden Spectra (synthetic)... 1 week later I had the bike in for low
> power... Using the full synthetic caused the rings to glaze, and not
> properly seat. I had a similar problem on my jetski a few years ago.
> After I reringed the piston and honed the cylinder, and ran straight
> dino oil, I had no problems during the break end. I then switched back to
> synthetic there after.
>
> So, believe what you want *just don't watch the Duralube commercial!*
>
> Synthetic has it's advantages, and it's disadvantages.

    Yep; I swear by synthetic, but I'm certainly not going to declare it
the end-all and be-all for all applications... (I ran my Dakota for
12,000 miles (3 oil changes) before switching to synthetic to allow
the engine to break in properly.)

  In this same vein, I just recalled something that I read regarding
synthetic vs. dino oil. Somebody had an old, high mileage car which
had been run with dino oil all its life. They switched to synthetic
and got a bunch of oil leaks. Apparently, the car had several leaks
which were plugged up by the dino oil; the synthetic cleaned it out
*too* well, unplugging all the leaks.

  I dunno if this is true or just one of them "urban legend" things,
but I thought I would pass it along, just in case. Anyway, I would
say that if you've got a high mileage car that's gotten there using
dino oil, why switch now? Unless of course you were going to
use it for racing or something, in which case you'd probably be
doing some engine work anyway. So, I guess this is a non-issue.

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; all opinions are my own.